FESCo wants a more sane updates policy (feedback requested)

Mail Lists lists at sapience.com
Sun Feb 28 23:31:53 UTC 2010

On 02/28/2010 06:25 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> drago01 wrote:
>> There has been a draft a while ago which did not result into much
>> discussion ..
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Desktop/Whiteboards/UpdateExperience
>>
>> Which looks pretty sane to me.
>
> It looks very insane to me:
> * only critical bugfixes, security fixes and hardware enablement for an
> arbitrary class of "system" packages which isn't defined anywhere. Not even
> general bugfixes! IMHO that's not at all what Fedora is or should be about.
> * only weekly pushes. We should target daily pushes. Our current pushes are

  Frankly for system packages we have

   1) kernel (+perf, dracut grubby)
   2) core daemons(e.g. dns, sendmail, nfs)

   3)  application daemons (e.g. apache, pulseaudio).

  Kernel should follow mainline stable - as reasonably soon after
release and our testing as possible.

  Core daemons - ditto.

  Application Daemons - i have no strong feeling on ..