new upstream tracker (linuxtesting.org)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jun 4 16:59:55 UTC 2010

Andrey Ponomarenko wrote:
> Taken into account, thanks. Some automatic way to add libraries may be
> very useful. At the moment all the libraries can be only manually added
> to the system by the administrator. If you want to add some library to
> the system than send a request to me or
> upstream-tracker at linuxtesting.org
> <mailto:upstream-tracker at linuxtesting.org>

There are some false positives in your checks. In particular, some
(actually, most, if not all) of the "new" virtual functions you flag for
kdelibs are just added reimplementations of virtual functions in a base
class. Those don't change the layout of the vtable at all, they just replace
an entry pointing to the function inherited from the base class with an
entry pointing to the new reimplemented function.

Another problem is that e.g. for GTK+, you have a linear sequence including
development versions, but ABI guarantees are never from one development
version to the next, but only from one stable version to the next.
Development versions are only required to be backwards-compatible with the
previous stable version, as is the next stable version. So the previous
version in linear sequence is not always the correct reference. (The same
holds for kdelibs, by the way, but there your table doesn't include
development versions, making this a non-issue.) A lot of the "breakage"
reported for GTK+ is actually APIs added in a development branch and
adjusted before the official release. This is perfectly within the scope of
GTK+'s API/ABI guarantees.

        Kevin Kofler