Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Mar 15 16:13:17 UTC 2010

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> How many contributors are interested in only serving themselves? Is that
> what we want to encourage?

I'm going to hazard a guess and say "all of them". It's basic
psychology; people don't do things that have no (perceived) benefit to
them. At most ephemeral, that benefit is "karma". Usually it is more
tangible (money, happiness from helping others, etc.... and in the Free
Software world, often "scratching one's own itch").

> By losing users, you lose the
> opportunity for that to even happen or atleast make it significantly
> less likely.

So you prefer to throw our current contributors under the bus in the
*hope* that by increasing users in general you see an increase in
contributors?

Okay. Points for long-term thinking. Not so much for watering down
Fedora into another Ubuntu.

Fedora currently is progressive and aggressive. Maybe moving to
progressive and conservative will work, but the question I have is how
effectively can you be progressive without also being aggressive? I
think there is a danger that development will either falter to follow
the slowed pace of release, or else have to move to rawhide, which means
more pain for developers and ergo fewer developers.

--
Matthew
Time to get out the marshmallows...