Res: Open Letter: Why I, Kevin Kofler, am not rerunning for FESCo

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue May 4 04:49:12 UTC 2010

On 05/04/2010 05:09 AM, Dave Airlie wrote:

> So it its none of these why do you want to fast track it into stable?
The fact nobody has reported a bug into Fedora's bugtracking system
doesn't mean a package is not bugged or doesn't suffer from defects.

The prototypical situations I am facing with my packages is
* upstreams releasing bug-fixes to bugs they have collected and I
haven't heared nor noticed before.
* individuals reporting bugs through bugzilla and me trying to find a
fix ASAP.

> Leave it updates-testing for 2-3 weeks and pull it in then if nobody
> complains.
That's what I have been doing and is one of the context in which I
consider karma to be superflous bureaucracy.

Also, when reporters are struggling with an actual bug, they typically
join in bugzilla and provide feedback through it. In such cases, karma
also is superflous bureaucracy.

The only case I'd see some sense for karma would be "feature upgrades".
A case which in Fedora is supposed to happen in rawhide.

> If you can't find anyone the bug affects I don't see why its an urgent
> must-fix.
c.f. above - not all bugs are "highly user visible".

This doesn't mean these bugs are not present in Fedora nor does this
mean they do not affect Fedora users.

Conversely, things like memory leaks, potential security leaks or
libraries mal-processing something, often get away unnoticed and
actually are much more serious than a single application dumping core
immediately.

Fixes to these kind of issues often are the cause for situations users
typically describe as "something started to work magically" with nobody
recalling actually having address it.

Ralf