Open Letter: Why I, Kevin Kofler, am not rerunning for FESCo

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue May 4 18:42:18 UTC 2010

Bernd Stramm wrote:
> I would like to pick the packages that I'm adventurous with. Currently
> that's not very easy, either an adventurousness level is enabled in the
> repos or it isn't.  That means my package manager gives me a flood of
> updates that I don't want. It would be nice to be able to filter that.
> For my objective, that is a package management issue, fedora policy
> doesn't need to be changed.

What you're asking for is selective updating. This is a very hard problem to
solve in practice, and in general unsolvable with a single repo. It is just
impossible, with a single repository, to be able to select one type of
changes without also accepting unrelated changes. Packages depend on each
other, the same package receives changes of varying nature etc. So I am
afraid what you're asking for is technically not possible, sorry.

        Kevin Kofler