Reasons for hall monitoring

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun May 9 14:45:25 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 12:16 +0100, Camilo Mesias wrote:

> Personally I think Fedora is good at what it does, and although it
> causes me some frustration that Fedora isn't better at wooing mass
> market users, I wouldn't want to make radical changes to structures
> and processes to chase some goals.

I agree - as I said, I don't think Fedora is a bad project at what it
actually achieves.

> Adam - I use Fedora at home - one server and four laptop / PC
> workstations. It's very fit for purpose, in fact has less downtime and
> is more easily maintained than the two Windows machines we have. My
> mum uses Fedora too. At work we use CentOS but that is historical, we
> might as easily be running Fedora. I think the barriers to mass
> adoption by and large aren't technical. Also these goals really
> shouldn't be used as a rationale for changes unless you are sure of
> what you will achieve.

This is what's called 'damning with faint praise' =). I mostly agree,
but the point is, we're not bringing something amazing and special to
the table. In harsh practical terms we're possibly a bit better than
Windows for a few people, probably a little worse for a lot of people.
That's not really turning anyone's excitement crank, is it? We can all
talk about our anecdotal experiences like this if we like, but the
fundamental point is that, if we were building a stunningly better
desktop operating system than the alternatives, people would be flocking
to use it. They aren't, ergo we're not.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey