Reasons for hall monitoring

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon May 10 11:41:03 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 13:21 +0200, Matěj Cepl wrote:
> Dne 10.5.2010 12:48, Adam Williamson napsal(a):
> > That's the wrong argument. We all know why we _can't_ make it just work,
> > but that doesn't excuse us. Sorry to take a well-worn analogy, but if
> > two guys are trying to sell you cars, and one doesn't have an engine,
> > would the fact that the guy selling the car with no engine has a *really
> > good and inarguable reason* why it doesn't have an engine make you buy
> > that car? Hell no. You'd buy the car with the engine.
>
> Sure, it is no excuse, and
>
> a) I was not the one trying to make Fedora into "general-purpose desktop
> OS",
> b) if this is really really important to you, there is enough Linux
> distros where you can spend your effort.
>
> I think we have nothing else to say, so let's just not saying that.

I think we're arguing the same point - that that is not where Fedora's
strengths lie. But it's important not to get lost in the knee-jerk
rationalizations and point-scoring when it comes to discussing Fedora
compared to other OSes or distributions, because then it starts to sound
like we _are_ trying to argue that people who'd be better off running
something else should just run Fedora and suck up the inconveniences.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey