Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Wed Oct 13 12:20:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:16:00AM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> "advanced install mode" is a non-started as discussed elsewhere in this
> thread.  It must be more fine-grained, i.e. each installation step
> (where it make sense) should offer some button to see the advanced
>options.

The "Show a screenful of sane defaults for lots of stuff" with a "Change"
button next to each sounds good to me, and probably could just be a front
for the current dialogs (which might not be perfect, but they are quite
good)

If the keyboard, timezone etc. are correct (based on autodetection/GeoIP
when available) then why make the user even press Next?

If "Nuke everything and use LVM on my 1TB Seagate" is ok, same there.  If
"Standard desktop" is fine, then so be it.  If not, press "Change",
select "Server" and if that's not good either, fiddle with
the packages while you're over there.

Personally I would probably like a cmd line option to anaconda for it to
fetch some file through http (kickstart :) ), and that would have my
favourite packages listed, and I could pretty much just press "Install"
after anaconda starts up (after verifying that everything got detected
correctly).  Pretty much the current situation, except I wouldn't have to
go through all of those dialogs.

I'm no UX person, though. Maybe people want to think about one thing
at a time and then press Next :D