Putting cross compilers into Fedora

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed Sep 1 15:16:09 UTC 2010

On 09/01/2010 04:00 PM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:

>>> Isn't that easy, you'll have to do a bunch of fixups after doing so to
>>> have things actually work.
>>
>> Usually not.  Nine times out of ten, (probably 99 out of 100) all you
>> need for cross-devel is the headers and the libraries, and they'll be
>> in the right place after unpacking.  The package doesn't have to work
>> in that situation, it just has to be possible to build against it.
>
> You havn't tried that, have you?

Err, yes.  How else would I know?  :-)

> Last time I did I had to (a) move stuff from $sysroot/usr/... to
> $sysroot/ to have compiler and linker find it.

Well, hold on: the makefiles are surely going to have include paths,
and these need to be set to something appropriate.

> Also fixup paths in the
> linker scripts (try 'cat /usr/lib64/libc.so').  Nothing really hard but
> needs to be done.

Sure.  These things are really pretty simple.

> If we go add cross-compilers it would be quite useful to also have an
> easy ways to cross-build userspace stuff so we are not limited to kernel
> cross builds ...

Right, but we don't have to do everything.  Anyone using a cross-compiler
is pretty smart.

Andrew.