Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Sep 22 19:50:34 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 14:45:03 -0500,
  Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:

> Rawhide kernels or using a stable kernel w/ Rawhide are not valid
> options. Rawhide is rawhide - development of Fedora, not for production
> use. Period. You can't jazz it up no matter how hard you try (Looking at
> you Jesse, Adam, and Bruno).

Well that depends on what you mean by production and what your needs are.
The people that running rawhide or branched are suggested to are generally
asking about using it to run the very latest of something (without having
to go through the trouble of packaging it themselves). That sounds like
testing to me, not production. People that try to both at the same time
(like I do for my personal systems) have to balance both uses.

> P.S. Can't use proprietary kernel modules (which some people have to
> use) with debugging kernels. The world isn't perfect and neither is Fedora.

The earlier message about debugging kernels has prompted a message to the
Fedora kernel list about that topic. If you are interested in this, you might
want to comment in that discussion. (All of one message so far.)
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/kernel/2010-September/002682.html