Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Sep 23 08:24:17 UTC 2010

Le jeudi 23 septembre 2010 à 08:59 +0100, Richard Hughes a écrit :
> On 23 September 2010 08:37, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well this cycle there was "on the way to gnome3 and back" situation,
> > which caused a lot of churn (even upstream).
>
> For what it's worth, the GNOME "will we, won't we" on a few different
> issues (GApplication, GTK3, etc) has cost a lot of developer time, and
> from an upstream perspective was a royal pain in the behind. I think
> Matthias has done a wonderful job keeping F14 in some sort of
> semblance, even with all this upstream turmoil.

I agree completely.

My point was that it is *hard* to push new major versions reliably
just-before-freeze, that even big stable paid teams with lots of
experience like the desktop team do not always manage it well, and
people should stop claiming this kind of update is suitable for a stable
release just because they'd like it to happen.

Major updates require lots of testing to limit harmful side-effects.
People have the choice of waiting for the next stable release, while
this testing occurs in rawhide and alpha/beta/etc, or provide this
testing live in rawhide. Direct dump in stable with minimal testing and
no problems, is a nice fantasy, but it's just that, a *fantasy*. Facts
do not agree with this idea.

Upstream projects that claim it can be done usually define "working" as
"my stuff works, if I broke something in other apps it's not my
problem" (netscape projects like mozilla, firefox & nss are a case in
point: they are pathologically unable to provide updates that work well
with the rest of the ecosystem. It only works on windows because there
the rest of the ecosystem is so foreign it shares nothing with them)

--
Nicolas Mailhot