nss_db

Mark R Bannister mark at proseconsulting.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 09:26:32 UTC 2011

On Wed 14/12/11 21:08 , Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com sent:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Mark R Bannister <mark at proseconsulting.co.uk>
>>>
>>> I appreciate your concerns, but unfortunately most of the glibc
>>> development decisions happen in the upstream glibc community, and we
>>> in Fedora don't always have a lot of pull when it comes to those sorts
>>> of decisions.  Have you expressed your concerns directly to the glibc
>>> community?
>>
>> I have now:
>>
>> http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-help/2011-12/msg00002.html
>
> You might want to resend that to the libc-alpha list.  Development
> discussions take place there, and the upstream maintainers don't read
> libc-help all that often.
>
> josh

Thanks Josh, I've done that now too:

http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2011-12/msg00036.html

But I think in Fedora perhaps you should consider the repercussions of this
change yourselves, and try to deal with the compatibility issues it raises.  For
a start, perhaps you should reverse the decision to deprecate your separate
nss_db package, and continue to package nss_db separately using source from
http://sf.net/projects/nssdb.

If this isn't fixed now, in Fedora, then it's likely to cause more pain when it
finally reaches RHEL.  I personally don't think that the glibc maintainers are
going to pay much attention to this (although I admit I might be wrong on that
account, perhaps I'm just impatient but I've had no acknowledgement from them yet
on the subject).

Best regards,
Mark.