Rawhide is annoying me!

David dgboles at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 12:29:34 UTC 2011

On 2/7/2011 4:07 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 02/07/2011 01:18 AM, David wrote:
>> On 2/6/2011 5:41 PM, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>>> On 02/06/2011 01:38 PM, David wrote:
>>>

>>> Well...  this is one of the things we want to get out of the GNOME 3
>>> test days.  If you aren't getting either a shell or fallback mode, we
>>> need to know what hardware you're using so we can make sure it's handled
>>> appropriately.  Filing a bug with a smolt profile would help with that,
>>> or check out the GNOME 3 test day page and enter your data there.
>
> Will there be a spin for us that already know that our hw is Gnome3
> compatible without out all that backwards compatibility cruff that will
> give us a pristine Gnome3 experience? :)
>
>> Well yeah. That part I understand. But..
>>
>> As of late it seems to me that *some* not *all* devs have taken the
>> attitude that 'you will accept what we think that you need' and you will
>> be quiet'.
>
> A lot if not most of those decisions are made by the Gnome UI Designers
> not the developers themselves so a lot of existing *features* have not
> been coded out they simply no longer are exposed to the end user as an
> *option* in the UI but *power* users are still able to tweak those
> setting via gconf/dconf editors and some of that UI Design is debatable
> to say the least from ( my ) usage perspective.
>
>>   Or your hardware is really old and/or crappy so we no longer
>> care about you.
>
> We currently support [1].
>
>> And the Linux that I first started using was a 'works for everyone' type
>> of OS system. From the rich guy with the state of the art equipment to
>> those less fortunate with older equipment or systems and slow dial-up
>> access that is 'as good as it get here' in 'my country'.
>>
>> A people OS. Meant for all and not just mean for the privileged few.
>>

> If you are running/relying on a steam powered technology then use *DE
> that are designed specially support that like XFCE or LXDE.
>
> Fallout Gnome users on older hw will only ensure healthy grows usage and
> community surrounding the other *DE .
>
> As I see it Gnome is taking unavoidable necessary steps to keep it self
> as a viable Desktop option in the *modern* age on a *modern* hw and from
> my perspective they are about 1 - 2 years to late in the game which is
> probably due to various reason like for other components not being in
> ready enough state for them to take these necessary steps.
>
> And from my perspective they should focus only as best as they can with
> integration and support on one platform GNU/Linux and stop supporting
> altogether any other *nix platform out there to be competitive to other
> Desktops on other OS out there.
>
>> As I said. I can deal with this. But my mother could not. nor her
>> husband. Nor my brother. Nor my sister. One out of five, 20%, in just my
>> immediate family is not a good ratio.
>
> If Gnome is not suitable for you family usage is there anything
> preventing you from using any of the other *DE alternatives we ship?

> [...]

"steam powered technology". This is pretty much what I was talking about
here. My 'real' machine, the one that I use for work, is modern within
12 months. My 'made from taken out parts' machine is not. As I said I
can deal with that.

But there are others in the Fedora Community, no offense meant to anyone
here, that are not in a position to deal with the 'latest and greatest
eye-candy Desktops. First came KDE 4.x. And now come Gnome 3. At least
the 'fancy fluff' in KDE is easily disabled. It sounds like Gnome 3 can
not. Is that true?

There are always users on the Fedora Users list with older equipment
looking for help. What is your answer to them when they discover that
their 8-10 year old computer is 5 years too old when it is the best that
they have? Or can afford? Go buy a new computer? Or will it be - Go
away? That would be sad.

Do as you wish. I am sure that you will. But IMO the default should
work. Or the fallback should be auto-magic with a polite explanation to
the user of what just happened.
--

  David