RPM version goes backward in Rawhide

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 18:39:45 UTC 2011

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:19:08 -0700, JK (Jesse) wrote:

> On 7/27/11 2:03 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > There is a big difference between "a package going backwards in its EVR
> > and staying there" and "a package getting untagged because it breaks koji
> > buildroot and with the plan to go forward in EVR as soon as the bug is
> > found and fixed".
>
> If it goes backwards to await a fix, that fix needs to be happening
> within the same day or so.

Panu has mentioned that he will be looking into fixing this unexpected
breakage. If that isn't acceptable to you, feel free to provide a fix
faster.

> Not prolonged so that updates fail on users'
> systems.

Do they fail in this case?
Do you prefer rpm-build in koji buildroot to fail even longer?
An issue with rpm-build on Rawhide installations is minor compared with
Fedora's offical buildsys.

> > In this case, the bad rpm-build broke koji builds, and since Rawhide
> > may eat babies, it can happen that Rawhide users need downgrade manually
> > while they have to wait for the fixed rpm-build.
>
> We are trying very hard to kill the notion that "rawhide may eat
> babies".  It's non-productive.  There are multiple ways to throw
> baby-eating updates over the wall for testing before they get into
> rawhide.  Stop treating it like a dumping ground.

Take off your pink glasses. Rawhide *is* a dumping ground. It breaks
users' installations regularly because of package maintainers using it
as exactly that, a dumping ground for potentially untested builds.

And in either case, I'm the wrong target of your flames.