OFED 1.6 InfiniBand packages in Fedora 16?

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Fri May 27 14:54:15 UTC 2011

On 05/27/2011 10:43 AM, Albert Strasheim wrote:
> Hello
>
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I just need some time to get updates in.  However, that being said, I
>> totally ignore OFED.  I pull packages from upstream and I do *not* get
>> anything from OFED.  They shipped a custom hacked, incompatible
>> libibverbs for over 2 years before their custom hacks were reviewed and
>> then modified and then accepted upstream.  That ended my relationship
>> with their offerings.
>
> Understood.
>
> One question: what do you consider upstream for librdmacm?
>
> Upstream libibverbs is at:
>
> http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/verbs/
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/libs/infiniband/libibverbs.git
>
> and OFED libibverbs is at:
>
> http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/libibverbs/
> git://git.openfabrics.org/ofed_1_5/libibverbs.git
>
> Similiarly, there is a mlx4 (upstream) and libmlx4 (OFED) at
> http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads.
>
> However, for librdmacm I only see:
>
> http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/rdmacm/
>
> and I can't find a git repository.

Sean Hefty is upstream for librdmacm and he should have a git repo under
his name.  OFED pretty much takes his stuff unmodified, so there is no
specific OFED repo for librdmacm.  There are other things OFED pulls
unmodified too, so it's not that they change all the packages they
include, just some.  However, there are actually a few things that only
come from OFED and don't have their own repo or tarball release outside
of their tarball in the larger OFED tarball.  In those cases I have to
grab it from OFED, sometimes modify it to work with pristine upstream,
then package that up (qperf is an example, it's written to work with
OFED libibverbs and assumes that is what it's compiled against, so I had
to back out XRC support from day one to make it work with upstream
libibverbs...they didn't even bother to conditionalize XRC support in
qperf prior to it being accepted upstream in libibverbs).

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at