systemd - standard place to run stuff after the network is up?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Oct 20 20:26:44 UTC 2011

Le jeudi 20 octobre 2011 à 11:59 -0800, Jef Spaleta a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Nicolas Mailhot
> <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> > No, it's an attempt to explain a general concept and not to point the
> > finger at anyone. Because as soon as you provide specifics, someone will
> > feel offended, get defensive, and refuse to listen to the general
> > message.
>
> I'd honestly like to know the specific usage case that is problematic
> for you. From the information so far presented I don't have a good
> understanding of what the network topology looks like nor how you
> expect traffic to be dynamically rerouted as your network node (in
> your terminology) becomes or is no longer available on a dynamic
> basis.

On a pure client device I expect the system to sort between the
available connexions (as they come and go) activate only the one with
the best price/performance (price can be power of metered access vs
unlimited access, performance can be bandwidth, latency or security) and
route everything through this connexion. And eventually to shut
everything down when there's no one in front of the client

On anything more complex a new connexion will usually be established in
addition to the existing ones, and will have a specific pre-set
configuration. For example, a port can be dedicated to guest systems, or
communication with specific networked devices, or external access, etc
Setting up the new connexion does not involve moving the existing
configuration to the new connexion but remembering the rules that apply
with this connexion is live/plugged/powered up (and in the case of guest
access firing dhcp relay or a dedicated dhcp daemon). It's just too
convenient for human beings to associate a specific physical connexion
with specific rules.

In both scenarii one needs to manage transient networks, but the way
they are managed is very different

I used client here and not desktop because a desktop interface can (and
will often) exist on the second kind of system too. And because I think
as soon as batteries and power management improve enough, there will be
mobile systems of the second kind too.

--
Nicolas Mailhot