GNOME 3 - font point sizes now scaled?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 30 12:50:35 UTC 2011

On 2011/09/30 13:14 (GMT+0100) Daniel Drake composed:

> Felix Miata  wrote:

>>  Sounds to me like your F14 is using correct DPI while your F16 is forced to
>>  96. Does your F14 have /etc/X11/xorg.conf file or a non-empty
>>  /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/?

> Bad DPI could certainly be a cause. However, xdpyinfo reports the
> correct value (201) on both platforms.

There is actually a possibility for 3 different DPIs to be recognized by
various apps on a single X desktop. xdpyinfo only reports one of the 3, which
is why I asked to open that URL in Firefox.

> We use a config file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d which specifies
> DisplaySize - needed for the correct DPI value to be computed.

Check if your F14 /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ has valid device and screen specified
while your F16 does not. I think post-F14 Xorg behavior in this regard and/or
default files and/or docs about them changed.

>>  Can you try opening Firefox 3.x with hidden (about:config) pref
>>  layout.css.dpi set to 0, and again set to 201, and loading
>>  http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/dpi-screen-window.html to see what DPI it reports?
>>  Same in Konqueror? (other/newer browsers lock to 96).

> Sure, I'll try this.
> Do I run these tests on F14 or F16?

Both, if device and screen in xorg.conf.d/ aren't your F16 problem, otherwise
neither. Might be easier to do in F14 unless you're familiar with using the
mozilla.org static binaries. Oh, and don't use your regular profile(s). Start
FF with -profilemanager and create a new one to use. I think you can damage
your 4/5/6/7 profile by using it for an older version and then going back to
4/5/6/7. I'm not sure which of the post-3.x versions is responsible for the
to/fro incompatibility. Or else backup first, run the tests, then restore.

> (do you really mean Firefox 3.x?)

"other/newer browsers lock to 96", which means they will only report 96 (or
maybe 192?, since you have an actual 201 DPI) unless you've altered
layout.css.devPixelsPerPx, in which case desktop DPI & reported DPI won't
likely correlate positively.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/