[ACTION REQUIRED] Retiring packages for F-17

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Jan 14 18:26:37 UTC 2012

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 19:12:58 +0100
Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Keeping packages around with no maintainers or people handling their
> > bugs is poor for everyone.
>
> Why? If I, as a user, really need a certain piece of software, I'd
> rather have an unmaintained package than none at all!

Thats your preference. Some people would be better off with another
supported package that does something similar, or even a package from
an upstream thats more up to date or functional.

> Worst case, I
> can't use the package at all, in which case I'm still no worse off
> than with no package at all! (And now with my packager hat on, fixing
> and/or updating a package in the repo also requires less effort than
> unretiring a package which got removed.)

This doesn't apply to the vast majority of our users.

Many would be upset when something doesn't work, and then even more
upset when they learn no one is maintaining the package.

kevin

PS: I'll likely not continue to reply to this thread today. It's fudcon
and I find argument by repetition a very poor rhetorical device.