(re)starting of a daemon after package update

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Fri Jun 22 08:22:22 UTC 2012

On 06/21/2012 11:01 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 21.06.2012 22:52, schrieb Michal Hlavinka:

>> %postun is sufficient, but it's not executed on package reinstall
>>

>>> one reason more why the cuurent behavior re-starting services
>>> on updates is simply wrong:
>>
>> You complained that service is restarted during update. Well, in this case, restart is not sufficient. We even have
>> to be sure, the service is not running when there are both old and new files in place. Not restarting the service
>> would be "simply wrong"
>
> is is NOT simpy wrong
>
> * i am the admin
> * i decide the time when a service is restarted
> * you have no clue what implication a restart of whatever
>    service has in my environment

you have no clue what implication a non-restarted service has

There are not only one-binary-services, some services have several
binaries running in the same time. For example with master process
spawning worker processes. They have internal API, when old master
process starts new worker expecting different API, possibly using
different configuration or just old worker with updated plugin using
different api... you'll get your requested disaster and it's what *I*
call "simply wrong".

Anyway, this discussion in this thread is off-topic.