Default image target size [Was:Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo Meeting (2012-06-18)]

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jun 22 23:58:30 UTC 2012

Adam Williamson wrote:
> As a personal comment, though, doesn't this seem a little fast to make
> the decision? Wouldn't it at least make sense to wait for minidebuginfo
> to be implemented, then spin a test KDE image and see exactly how big it
> turns out with the current package set?

We will have to check what size we hit exactly (my guess is something
between 700 and 800 MiB, which is why we're discussing an 800 MiB target),
but what we know is that F17 was at 695 MiB, and the numbers the
MiniDebugInfo feature page is quoting are way above the 5 MiB we have left.
(And in addition, those 5 MiB are likely to be taken up by other creeping
bloat. Everything just gets larger and larger at every release, usually
without anything concrete to pinpoint.)

So it is not possible to ship a KDE spin with MiniDebugInfo without
increasing the size target, dropping some applications or both.

        Kevin Kofler