[Feature Suggestion] UsrMove continued

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Oct 9 08:40:48 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 10:13:03AM +0200, tim.lauridsen at gmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>wrote:
>
> > So you make your system incompatible with every other Linux distro out
> > there, and with all existing documentation, but to what end? Tidyness?
> >
> > Rich.
> >
> > --
> > Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat
> > http://people.redhat.com/~rjones
> > New in Fedora 11: Fedora Windows cross-compiler. Compile Windows
> > programs, test, and build Windows installers. Over 70 libraries supprt'd
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW http://www.annexia.org/fedora_mingw
> > --
> >

> +1 to Richard, I really don't see the purpose, why does it matter that
> number of dirs in /.
> Lot of apps will break if you move /proc or /dev, and if you replace them
> with symlink in the next 10 years you still have the same number of dirs
> under /, you have even more because you have added some new ones.
> I can understand you want to merge dirs there have the same function /bin
> -> /usr/bin, but this has no benefits at all.

Plus, this proposal makes no attempt whatsoever to investigate other
schemes.  People have already "fixed" the Unix filesystem, with
varying degrees of success.  Take a look at Plan9 for a positive
example, or OS X for a negative example.

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it".
Unfortunately this phrase is never truer than when talking about
computer programmers.

Rich.