f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Oct 18 22:02:46 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-18 at 12:17 -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> On 10/17/2012 10:55 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > Was the old one really better, or were you just used to it? Comparing
> > the first time you use the new dialog to the 50th time you used the old
> > one is an entirely unfair comparison. You have to compare the first time
> > you use the new dialog to the first time you used the old one. *Any* new
> > design will seem more difficult than the old one, at first, to someone
> > who was familiar with the old one.
>
> Just my opinion, but I believe that a lot of the confusion is caused by
> the lack of a clear statement that LVM, RAID, etc., are *supposed* to
> work.
>
> We are at the beta test compose stage, which most people interpret to
> mean something close to feature complete.  Combine this with the fact
> there's no indication in the UI (that I could discern) of support for
> existing RAID arrays or LVM VGs, and I don't believe it's at all
> unreasonable to wonder if this functionality is simply being removed.

I'm not sure what 'indication' you're expecting, exactly. AIUI, existing
RAID arrays and VGs should just show up in the list of existing
filesystems on the left-hand side of the custom partitioning screen. (In
a recent enough Beta TC, of course, Alpha is ancient stuff now). If they
don't, that's a bug. Do you have a case where they don't? If so, it
should just be reported as a bug.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey