Fixing Puppet in Fedora/EPEL

Greg Swift xaeth at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 23 14:11:21 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> Introducing new package is complication anyway, so what is the point?
>>
>> See earlier comments. The point is that when the update goes live, people
>> running the older version with non-compatible configs won't have their
>> systems break. This is important.
>>

> Yes, I understand that ... therefore you need two versions of puppet
> installed in parallel. There was proposal to prepare puppet3 package, while
> I think that the correct way is to move puppet to version 3 and prepare new
> puppet2 or compat-puppet package.
>
> Once you introduce version into the name, you will never be able to get rid
> of it, although puppet 4 might be 100% compatible with puppet 3 and I hope
> you don't like to have package puppet3-4.x in the future.

I'm still not sold on parallel installation being the solution for
this situation.  I get the idea behind it, but to me that just adds
unnecessary complication to the whole thing.  Not saying its not the
route to go, just not at the top of my list.

What I do think would be a good idea is if we could try addressing
this issue from a higher level since Puppet is decidedly not the only
package with this problem.

but then... i've a vested interest in that concept because I started a
thread about it on the epel-devel list last week (as Toshio mentioned
earlier in this thread).

https://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2012-October/msg00015.html

-greg