Django-1.5 for F19

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Thu Apr 11 12:56:54 UTC 2013

On Thu 11 Apr 2013 02:56:16 AM EDT, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> [...]

Not all upstreams are willing to migrate to Django 1.5. For an
example, here's the feedback I got from ReviewBoard:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/reviewboard-dev/QOMtUjfbJ0g

Specifically note the part:
"The Django guys keep making decisions to deprecate things and change
things that severely impact us and make it really hard to migrate to.
Things like their recent changes to how user profiles work (they're
getting rid of them and all API around them). It's fixable, but we end
up jumping through hoops just to change things for the sake of
changing things."

The core of the problem is that Django upstream has absolutely zero
understanding of how to produce a stable development infrastructure
and zero interest in maintaining more than two versions simultaneously
(even for security updates).

What we really need to do is start trying to educate the Django
upstream about long-term supportability guarantees and product
lifecycles that other projects can rely upon.

Perhaps we can point them at the Mozilla Foundation's ESR releases as
an example. I don't have any contacts in the Django upstream, but
maybe Matthias does?