Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 30 03:13:01 UTC 2013

On 01/29/2013 04:59 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
> I don't disagree with the "more research and reason" part, but the
> current default desktop has only been "our default" for four releases,
> F15 through F18.  I don't recall any serious "research and reason"
> having been involved in the switch that occurred when F15 was being
> developed.  As far as I can tell, it was just thrust upon us without
> much consideration as to whether it was good, bad, or indifferent.

Actually a lot of research and reason went into GNOME 3's development
[1], and we picked it up because we are an upstream distro [2]. So um,
no, there was no "thrusting" going on.

Again, you're gonna need better reasons than 'Alan Cox and Linus don't
like it' especially because Linus uses it...

~m

[1]
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design#Research.2C_testing_and_validation

[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Staying_close_to_upstream_projects