F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jul 17 12:31:48 UTC 2013

Am 17.07.2013 14:20, schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
> On 07/17/2013 12:05 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>>> We honestly cant keep progress and cleanup in the distribution back
>>> out of fear of breaking some third party programs.
>> Irrespective of whether journald is good or bad, this is a dumb
>> argument.
>
> Dumb I see so you have established a time frame for us how long we should  hold back progress  in the project and
> or you have devised an implementation plan on features and cleanups with a rate that a third party can keep up with
> in the distribution, maybe even chosen which third parties we wait for and which we dont?
>
> You think it's good for the community to be dependent on third party I dont since think we should first and
> foremost be thinking about ourselves and our community not some third party of the interweb or even a downstream
> distribution to us like like RHEL

your definition of "community" needs to be fixed because with this statement
you exclude a) users and b) even packages and maintainers inside the project
from the community

you need to understand that a distribution does not exist self-contained
it exists and survives because it is used and you can hardly come out
twice a year and break happily whatever people are using because you
think it's the way to go - well, you can, but if you do it too often
you will sooner or later be the community at all

/var/log/messages has a lot of usecases

you can *hardly* demand from every developer and sysadmin on this planet
permanently follow your way because it's the better for you