F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 17 15:47:04 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 04:37:10PM +0100, M A Young wrote:
> That leads me to ask another question, how well does journald cope
> with keeping certain logs long term? The classic syslog way of doing
> this is to send them to a separate file, then use logrotate to
> compress them once they have been rotated. Is there any equivalent
> with journald? Compressing may be necessary due to the quantity of
> logs required.

This is mentioned in the feature proposal -- if you have particular data
retention and lifecycle policies (common in enterprise deployments), you
will want to add rsyslog. This shouldn't be a very big change in practice,
since you will then also need to _configure_ rsyslog for your particular
case.

As we eventually get applications which are able to use the more rich
logging capabilities of the journal, we'll also need something to deal with
this. However, I don't think doing it at the per-system journal level is
appropriate -- it's better to send the logs to a log processing / management
application.