RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 22 14:20:35 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 04:06:12PM +0200, Remi Collet wrote:
> >   But, this is not a return to the old Core + Extras, because the line is
> >   drawn based on _what_ and _how_ rather than on who works for what company.
>
> Whatever explanation which can be given, "Core" is just the worst name
> to be used.
> For me, The merge Core + Extras => "Fedora" is just the most significant
> step for fedora project as a real community distro.

Sorry to hear that. I'm aware of this concern -- I was there too, you know.
As I was talking about the idea with people, it kept being hard to not
accidentally say "core". Finally, as I was talking to Seth Vidal, he said,
in his characteristic way, "Look, here's the thing. You should just call it
Fedora Core. If you don't, people are going to be grumbling in the back
corner and saying that it's really Core, and the conversation becomes about
a conspiracy about the name. Just call it Fedora Core, and then have the
conversation about the important point, which is how it's different."

I didn't feel completely comfortable putting that in the slides, but at this
point, I'm pretty set on following that advice.

> Ex : I'm so disgusted that I don't ever have desire to read the rest of
> the doc.

Could I get you to try again? I strongly agree that the integration of Core
and Extras was indeed the most significant step in making a real community
distro. I talk about this a lot to people inside of Red Hat who are not so
close to Fedora or who joined in the later years. Community is the strength,
and we need that _in_ the new core.