EPEL (was Re: RFC: Proposal for a more agile "Fedora.next" (draft of my Flock talk))

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 22:46:23 UTC 2013

> For the record, I'd like you to have a look at basically any
> community-reported bug in the 'sssd' component of BZ or
> community-submitted patches on the sssd-devel list. That's a project
> comprised nearly entirely of Red Hat employees.[1]
>
> You may notice that our *first* reaction to anyone contributing a
> patch or a bug is to say "Thank you!". I find your assertion that all
> Red Hatters are aloof or ungracious to be quite insulting.

As it is to me insulting from those that dont and as you are well aware
of who Harald is then it's quite obvious I did not mean "all" while he
claimed all Red Hat employees had good effects on the project.

The fact is we *all* need to improve our thanking to each other.

>   In all
> communities, there are people with different personalities. I'd argue
> that in general, the level of polite discourse seen on the Fedora
> devel@ list is *significantly* higher than that on the Linux kernel
> mailing list.
>
> On the other hand, we do still have our share of individuals whose
> primary contribution appears to be belittling the efforts of other
> contributors to no obvious purpose. You are not alone in this, but you
> are a contributor to this problem.

Which is no surprise really since I treat people as people treat me.

> I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but not everyone will always
> agree with you.

I'm perfectly well aware that not everyone will agree to me nor will I
to them that's one of the things which makes us unique.

> There will be times in this community that people will
> have different opinions. It's most certainly not limited to Red Hatters.

And that works both ways.

> I would very much like to know how you would expect Fedora to function
> in any way similarly to how it does now without the backing of one or
> more organizations like Red Hat.

Through donations.

> Like I said above, not everyone agrees all the time, and certainly not
> even inside Red Hat. Every once in a while, someone like you shows up
> with the assertion that everyone at Red Hat is conspiring together to
> force Fedora in a particular direction. If you could see our internal
> mailing lists, you would realize how laughable that is.

I dont have access to those mailinglist I however did witness a bit wake
call within Red Hat regarding systemd when I was in BRNO which details I
choose to leave out but most definitely asserts what you say there but
as I have said before I'm against to strong corporate foothold in the
project, that corporate foothold just happens to be Red Hat so we as a
community should be working slowly but surely to stand entirely on our
own two feets and be able to let go of the hand because as you clearly
pointed out Red Hat is so heavily invested everywhere in the project
that if it and then when it decides to let go ( which is always a risk
with companies ) we currently dont have any legs to stand on and I very
much like us being prepare and be able to land on our two feet's if and
when that time comes and be one of the direction we should be taking as
a project.

And accusing me being on some kind of witch hunt against all Red Hat
employees is just laughable because I got nothing but good to say about
every and I mean every Red Hat employee I meet in BRNO and was surprised
even how well some of them handled our shark but there are some that I
dont like since they repeatedly stand in the way for me itching my
scratch and fix things even allowing me to work into our advantage and
probably plethora that dont like me then again I'm not an individual
that participates in//beauty pageants // or popularity contests so
that's kinda to be expected.

JBG