Getting rid of systemd-sysv-convert?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Jun 20 15:11:24 UTC 2013

On Thu, 20.06.13 15:42, Miloslav Trmač (mitr at volny.cz) wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> > When systemd was first adopted by Fedora a requirement mandated by FESCO
> > (or was it FPC?) was that the script "systemd-sysv-convert" (which I
> > wrote) should be added which is supposed to save the old runlevel
> > configuration of sysv scripts before we replace them with systemd units.
> <snip>
> > it is pretty much unused
>
> The policy for the FPC to decide, let me just add some data:
> > $ repoquery --whatrequires systemd-sysv --qf '%{name}' |sort -u|wc -l
> > 186
> including packages like avahi.
>      Mirek

Yeah, it's used by packages, but not by people. i.e. package use it to
store away the old runlevel info, but no humans actually ever then make
use of it, is what I say.

And regarding the usage by packages: the policy states that the tool
needs to be invoked with a suffix of "2>&1 >/dev/null || :" (Unix can be
so descriptive!) which means simply removing the tool would make these
lines NOPs -- as long as we keep some package providing systemd-sysv in
place. Or we could even symlink the tool to /bin/true or so in case
people are afraid that some scriplets dropped the "2>&1 > /dev/null ||
:" bit.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.