Unhelpful update descriptions

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Mar 12 09:36:43 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> writes:
> > On 11/03/13 06:28 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> >> That's not readily apparent in the Updates Policy ...
>
> > Ah, you're right, I really should have checked it before posting
> > (yet
> > again). I was thinking that it discouraged *all* version updates,
> > not
> > just "major" ones. I personally would still be hesitant to update a
> > package to a new upstream version if I didn't know what the heck
> > was in
> > it, but that is indeed apparently just a personal preference and
> > not a
> > policy :)
>
> I think there's no substitute for knowing your upstream --- and
> therefore, not a whole lot of scope for a one-size-fits-all
> distro-wide
> policy.

Yep, it was my main concern when these rules were set-up - every upstream
is different. And you have to know your upstream and understand their
release policies. So sometimes it ends up I just update to a new version
even without Changelog (sometimes it's just forgotten) if I trust the
upstream and I know even this update will be valuable. Even I feel a
bit bad in such case ;-)

Jaroslav