The official way to upgrade F18 to F19

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 30 01:28:43 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-29 at 18:20 -0700, Ravindra Kumar wrote:
> > If folks think we shouldn't make 'fedup --network 19' work now to
> > upgrade people to branched/prerelease, please scream. ;) Otherwise it
> > will be the case from now on.
>
> Probably, 'fedup --network 19' should not install alpha/beta
> releases automatically, instead a switch to specifically select
> a prerelease would be a better choice. That gives more control
> to the user. I mean 19 should mean Fedora 19 and may be you
> could use something like 19a/19alpha, 19b/19beta etc for alpha,
> beta releases respectively. Or, just 19pre for latest prerelease
> to be simpler.

I think that level of 'protection' might be going too far. You'd have to
be pretty dim to run an upgrade to a pre-release without knowing what
you were doing.

If we had a GUI tool or a notification thing, sure, it'd make sense to
'hide' pre-releases in those. But I don't think it's really necessary to
do this in a CLI tool where you already have to explicitly specify the
version you're updating to.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey