communications and community [was Re: Lack of response about sponsorship]

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 14:02:23 UTC 2013

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 18:23:49 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 18:08 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > The intended usage of "test" list has always been a problem. Once in a
> > while, somebody points that out, but there's nobody (no leadership) to
> > work on a change actively. Is it only for Test releases or also for
> > Rawhide? Its description is vague. Is there not any "testing and quality
> > assurance" for non-Test releases?
>
> Huh. I don't remember this ever coming up as a problem before, but I
> could've drunk away the memory. As far as I know it's the QA list; it
> covers testing of Fedora, so yes, it covers Rawhide use, in fact
> discussion of Rawhide use is quite a common topic area for test at . Do you
> have any references for its purpose being considered unclear?

The split and intended usage has been questioned by several community
members for many years, even already when the lists where still on Red
Hat's servers.

Locating such comments with a search engine isn't easy.

The people who've pointed out the confusion about which list to choose
when haven't drunk away their memory and could join here, but that will be
fruitless if an instance such as FESCo decides otherwise.

-maintainers list has been closed by FESCo for the same reasons,
despite disagreement by community members:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2007-September/109577.html

In that thread, there's a comment about closing fedora-test-list *and*
fedora-packaging-list in favour of fedora-devel-list:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2007-September/109591.html

To which I agreed, because in 2007 and earlier we've had problems with
these two competing lists:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2007-September/109624.html

Here's a reference that confirms past attempts at improving the list
descriptions and intended usage:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2007-September/109625.html

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide#Mailing_Lists
| Rawhide discussion is on topic and welcome in both the test and devel lists.

D'oh! ;-)  The Rawhide report being posted to both lists is the same
problem.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-November/msg01148.html
| Hmmm, shouldn't this be discussed on fedora-devel-list though? ;-)

There are more. I just cannot spend more time on locating them.
Similarly, users of "fedora" list, who enable updates-testing, get asked
whether they should have posted to "test" list instead.