Schedule for Wednesday's FESCo Meeting (2013-09-11)

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 19:08:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 8:07 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
<johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/11/2013 05:37 PM, drago01 wrote:
>>
>> Lets not discuss the word "support" again we have had enough threads of
>> that.
>> And yes we have other desktop environments in the project but we do
>> not promote them equally
>> because we don't have the resources to "support" them on equal terms.
>

> You mean Red Hat is not backing up their development through manpower
> equally and not doing so makes them lesser of products then "Gnome" and
> hence we should not give them equal place and footing within our project and
> our community.

No. This has nothing to do with Red Hat but yes manpower (which is not
limited to
maintainers but also *developers*). And whether are employed by Red
Hat (note: I am not)
or come from another planet does not matter.

> In other words we should only proudly display and stand behind applications
> and application stacks that are backed up by Red Hat from our community.

No, see above.

> Yep that's pretty much how that 3 product default sounds to me, I however do
> not discriminate between application in our community nor between the people
> that are maintaining them.
>
> And encase you have missed the 21 centry...

No I did not.

> The fact is even after all those years of people crying "This year will be
> the year of the Linux desktop!", we still cant do as basic function as to
> update the firmware on our computers, we still cant update the firmware of
> all the peripheral devices like camera, mobile phone,tablets, gps etc.

What does firmware update has to do with anything here?

> The manufacturers of those devices still dont provide application for their
> devices that run on top of general linux distrubtion and they never will
> since they are making the application available for Android and IOS

What?!. None of those manufactures provide software
to update firmware with for iOS nor Android ....

> And proposing that we somehow continue to tie ourselves and our processes to
> *any* of the desktop environments in the GNU/Linux ecosystem while they try
> to redefine themselves and struggle with their own existence is not doing us
> as a community any favours nor our users base.

Sorry but just because tablets and smart phones outsell PCs does not
mean that we
should start doing everything on tablets. And no we are not "tying our
processes"
to a desktop environment ... that would only apply to the workstation product.

We have a server and a could product as well in Matthew's proposal.
If anything all your mobile
talk suggest that we should have a mobile product as well. And I
wouldn't be really against that
it fits into the picture. But having 1000 workstations, 1000 servers
and 1000 different cloud products
makes no sense.