exclude people from giving karma?

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Tue Feb 25 14:38:24 UTC 2014

> It is very obvious that autokarma is NOT working. It is causing way more
> breakage than direct stable pushes (or manual pushes with "too little"
> karma) ever caused. If direct stable pushes (or manual pushes with "too
> little" karma) were so bad a problem, then how can autokarma possibly NOT
> be
> as bad a problem?

I expect that vast majority of the people who push bodhi updates that are
broken (whether caught by bodhi karma or not) would also push the same
broken updates directly to stable.  So, autokarma has a chance of stopping
some bad builds, but it will not add any *more* bad builds.  It seems to me
that it can be only an improvement in quality (though we can discuss
whether it is worth the effort, sure).

> The whole concept that an update is stable because an arbitrary number of
> testers gave it a +1 makes no sense whatsoever. Automatically pushing an
> update with no validation whatsoever is just suicidal.

I fully agree with you testers giving +1 is not even close to proper
validation, but what alternative to get proper validation do you propose as
an improvement?  Dropping autokarma would replace broken validation with
*no* validation; that's not an improvement.

Should we do away with package reviews, and instead require writing an
automated test as a condition of acceptance of a package to Fedora?  That
would be a fun conversation - and even if we did make such a decision, what
do do about the thousands of packages that are already in the distribution
and have no such tests?
    Mirek