dnf versus yum

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Jan 3 02:12:42 UTC 2014

Am 03.01.2014 03:05, schrieb Kevin Kofler:
> To me, this is the real showstopper:
> http://akozumpl.github.io/dnf/cli_vs_yum.html#keepcache-configuration-option-dropped
> (By the way, how does PackageKit-hawkey behave there?)
>
> The keepcache=0 default in Fedora is IMHO a CRITICAL DATA LOSS BUG and I
> ALWAYS change that broken default to 1 on my machines. This ensures that if
> an update is broken, I can always revert to the previous update that I still
> have cached, not only to the ancient version from GA that might not even
> install anymore, and that also has many bugs and security issues! Especially
> considering that Fedora does not keep previous updates on its mirrors, it is
> TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE to delete the cache by default, and EVEN MORE
> UNACCEPTABLE to remove the keepcache option entirely!

ok, until this is fixed DNF is a complete no-go

* there is no need to completly mirror the fedora repos because on our
  buildserver are exactly 1170 installed and they cover any setup over
  a lot of machines, after a dist-upgrade within a minute the cache is
  filled
* it's unacepptable to download updates (regulary and dist-upgrades) on each machine
  in a production environment because unpredictable results in case of different
  mirrors as well as you can't update test-servers and after all is fine two
  days later their production-buddy
* it is a useless burden for the mirror traffic

this script below works since many years and anybody who thinks /var/cache/yum/
is not important never had to maintain 10, 20, 30 or more Fedora machines

root at buildserver:~]$ cat /buildserver/repo-cache.sh
#!/usr/bin/bash
basearch=`uname -i`
releasever=`rpm -q --qf "%{version}\n" fedora-release`
for g in `ls -1b /var/cache/yum`
do
 if [ -d /var/cache/yum/$g/packages ]
 then
  echo "/var/cache/yum/$g/packages/ > /repo/cache/fc$releasever/"
  sudo mv --verbose /var/cache/yum/$g/packages/*.rpm /repo/cache/fc$releasever/ 2> /dev/null
 fi
done
/buildserver/repo-create.sh