Fedora.next: I would like working configurations

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Mon Jan 27 22:21:00 UTC 2014

On 27.01.2014 22:01, Robert M. Albrecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> dhcpd is just an (maybe bad) example.

It is good example. See dhcp configuration in your home router - it
requires some attention. Then try some Cisco or HP router and its dhcp
configuration. This smart devices are not so smart to work for everybody
out of the box. This is also true for Linux versions of this daemon.

> But even dhcpd needs a lot of work. I need to configure ranges, options
> (which could like gateqway and dns partly automagically gathered from
> the exsting network configuration), ... binding dhcpd to bind to enable
> dynamic updates, ...
>
> and double this stuff for IPv4 and IPv6.

You can disable IPv6 if you don't need it. How can any software possibly
know your network address before you enter it during installation? How
would dhcpd daemon know IP ranges you want to lease to hosts on your
network? Read your mind?

> I used this only as an example to show that nearly all daemons are not
> ready-to-run.
>
> cups and apache are not sharing user-groups with samba and nagios, ...

Because I don't want that functionality. If it's what you need, please
learn how to do it and just do it. No one is preventing you from doing that.

> Integration of services is often possible, but not done when doing a
> fresh Fedora installation.

Because different people need to integrate different things. But it's
not entirely true what you said, take a look at FreeIPA, perfect example
of integrated service.

> What I would like is more integration to produce a working "server". If
> I create a user group, it should be known in all installed services.

It is... or you're doing something wrong. What kind of user accounts are
not recognized by what software?

> This might not be restricted to servers: all audio-components are there
> to do some professional work: jack, pulseuaudio, alsa, Audacity,
> plugins, ... but I have to fiddle them together myself.

What?

Mateusz Marzantowicz