Self Introduction / Contributing a package to Fedora

Matthias Runge mrunge at matthias-runge.de
Tue Jul 29 06:30:10 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 09:27:12PM -0500, Derek Pressnall wrote:
> > The Fedora packaging process can be a bit tricky the first time
> > around; I'd recommend locating a member of the Fedora Sponsors who is
> > interested in helping you with your first package and showing you the
> > ropes.
>
> Ok, where do I find a Sponsor?  on this list, or is there another one?  Or
> is that the whole part where I have to submit the package, open up a bug
> report, and reference that here?  (I think that's what I got out of the
> docs last time I went through it).
I bet, there are quite a few sponsors reading here.

You're right, it's the whole part with opening a bug etc. The process is
described at [1]. I suggest you to submit your spec for review.

To mark your bug as blocked by the lack of being sponsored, you should
add insert 177841 as a blocker for your bug. (Blocks field).

At least some sponsors are watching that NEEDSPONSOR bug (numbered
177841); they'll get an auto mail about a change.

A few remarks about your spec given at [2]:
- Source0 should be a valid URL (if possible)
- in files section, you should use %{_bindir} instead of /usr/bin
- the same applies to your install section
- and of course your changelog must contain entries
- insert real version numbers and release numbers to Version and Release

Once you did that, you might want to try rpmlint -i on your SPEC and
SRPM file. That will check for most common issues and will report them.

HTH,
Matthias

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Review_Process
[2] https://github.com/derekp7/snebu/blob/master/snebu.spec