dnf even allows to uninstall RPM and systemd without warnings

jeandet alexis.jeandet at member.fsf.org
Tue Jun 24 13:08:29 UTC 2014

Le mardi 24 juin 2014 à 14:43 +0200, Sergio Pascual a écrit :

>         On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 11:45 +0200, Thomas Bendler wrote:
>         > 2014-06-24 11:36 GMT+02:00 Richard Hughes
>         <hughsient at gmail.com>:
>         >         On 24 June 2014 10:31, Thomas Bendler
>         <ml at bendler-net.de>
>         >         wrote:
>         >         > you need to unlock the gun before you can shoot in
>         your
>         >         foot...
>         >         > ...and modern systems ask you up to four, five
>         times
>         >
>         >         How many different locks does a gun have? Last time
>         I checked
>         >         there
>         >         was one safety catch -- DNF asks you for 'y/N'
>         confirmation
>         >         with a
>         >
>         >
>         > ​Three safety locks the last time I used it. After inserting
>         the
>         > magazine I had to load the bullet first, then I had to
>         unlock the gun
>         > and then I had to pull the trigger. I don't think that this
>         procedure
>         > happens accidentally.
>

>         Two of which aren't safety features, but just part of the
>         mechanism how
>         a gun can be fired. Because everyone loves car analogies: The
>         safety
>         mechanism that keeps your car from moving isn't the tank which
>         can be
>         empty or the ignition which can be switched off, or the
>         accelerator
>         which you can decide not to push down, but the brakes. Mind
>         that I'm not
>         arguing against an additional safety if it can be switched
>         off, but I
>         wouldn't miss it either.
>

> We are not taking about the security needed to move the car, we are
> taking about the additional security needed
>
> to remove the engine. 99% of the time you don't want to remove the
> engine, even if you have the keys of the car.
>

> Seriously, yum already implements this and it's better to have this
> additional protection than don't have it.
Hi,

I do agree, I also don't think it is horrible to have by default some
safety nets which any advanced user can disable than risking to
discourage new users because they did some mistakes for any raison cited
before. Preventing DNF from removing the minimum you need to boot and
recover your system really makes sens.

Best regards,
Alexis.