AppStream Logs and False Positives

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 17:15:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> Quite a few people have asked me how the AppStream distro metadata is
> actually generated for their package. Since F20 we're also doing
> things like supply missing AppData files for some key apps, and
> replacing some upstream screenshots on others. In order to make this
> more transparent, I'm going to be uploading the logs of each
> generation run to https://github.com/hughsie/createrepo_as_logs -- If
> you've got a few minutes I'd appreciate you finding your application
> there and checking for any warnings or errors, and perhaps forwarding
> any findings to upstream. Although over 10% of applications in rawhide
> ship AppData, that means a huge chunk don't and also quite a few
> upstreams don't even have things like translated desktop files.

I've got an application with a valid desktop file for which I attempted to
write an appdata file.  I couldn't find any screenshots online, so I took
some of my own and installed them with the application.  The log message
for this application says:

Failed to load screenshot file://<path>: Downloading failed: Cannot resolve
hostname

Am I taking a fundamentally wrong approach, or does something in the
appdata stack need to be taught about file:// URLs?

Thanks,
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/