5tFTW: Last bit on Shellshock, plus, Fedora Governance, Flock, Fedocal, and F21 (2014-10-03)

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Oct 3 18:33:31 UTC 2014

Reposted from <http://fedoramagazine.org/5tftw-2014-10-03/>.

Fedora is a big project, and it’s hard to keep up with it all. This
series highlights interesting happenings in five different areas every
week. It isn’t comprehensive news coverage — just quick summaries with
links to each. Here are the five things for October 3rd, 2014:

Shellshock (CVE-2014-6271/CVE-2014-7169) followup

Hopefully this is the last word on this (knock on wood), but there are
a few tidbits to note. First, the Fedora Docker images on the Docker
hub have all been updated, from the base image to all of the pre-made
specific images including Node.js, OwnCloud, MariaDB, and so on.
Second, we have awarded an electrifying new badge to the dozens of
people who helped us get the update out. Thanks to all of you!

If you missed it but are still curious, see all of our coverage on
Fedora Magazine under the shellshock tag.

  * https://registry.hub.docker.com/_/fedora/
  * https://registry.hub.docker.com/repos/fedora/
  * https://badges.fedoraproject.org/badge/shellshocked
  * http://fedoramagazine.org/tag/shellshock/

Important Fedora governance discussion
--------------------------------------

In the months leading up to Flock, at Flock, and after, the Fedora
Project board and interested community members have been talking about
a new top-level governance model for the project. This is intended to
provide more clear project-level communication, increase meritocratic
representation of people directly involved in the project, and set up a
framework for more efficient use of our limited resources for the most
impact.

The new body, which we are calling the *Fedora Council*, will replace
the Fedora board as stewards of the Fedora mission and our shared core
values. This is important to everyone involved in the project — end
users and all contributors to all aspects of Fedora, at any level. Take
a look at the (in-progress and evolving) draft charter, and join the
conversation on the public board-discuss mailing list.

  * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview#Our_Mission
  * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundations
  * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MatthewMiller/council-draft

Finalizing Flock locations
--------------------------

As mentioned last week, we have four bids for 2015’s Flock
conference in North America. Flock organizer Ruth Suehle recently
announced a call for input on the proposals Your response would be
very helpful, if you’re thinking of attending — and if you’re a Fedora
contributor or want to become one, I hope to see you there next summer!

  * http://fedoramagazine.org/5tftw-2014-09-26/
  * https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/flock-planning/2014-September/000571.html

Fedora Calendar upgrade
-----------------------

A few months ago, I wrote about Fedora’s calendaring system,
Fedocal. Among other things like scheduling team meetings,
contributors use it to note their vacations, so the rest of us can
coordinate around that. There have been some complaints that this
ends up being harder to read than the old wiki-page solution, but this
week, Fedocal developer Pierre-Yves Chibon announced a new version
which includes a list view which addresses that. It’s in “staging” now
(that is, on a test server), but will go into production use soon.
Testing is welcome on the staging instance.

  * http://fedoramagazine.org/five-things-in-fedora-this-week-2014-04-15/
  * https://apps.fedoraproject.org/calendar/
  * https://fedorahosted.org/fedocal/ticket/130
  * https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/infrastructure/2014-October/014921.html
  * https://apps.stg.fedoraproject.org/calendar/list/test/

Fedora 21 progress
------------------

The Fedora Alpha was released last week, and we’re in the process of
evaluating the test criteria for the Beta release scheduled for
October 28th, and fixing corresponding bugs. If you’re interested in
helping, join the QA team, or simply participate in a Test Day.
(If you haven’t before, it’s easy. Read Amita Sharma’s article on what
it’s like to get a feel, or just jump in.)

Also, please keep in mind that Fedora release days are targets, not
deadlines — we aim for them, but our releases come out only when we
meet our criteria for quality. We hope that there won’t be any more
schedule slips, but when that happens, it’s just part of the process,
not some sort of failure.

  * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/21/Schedule
  * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Join
  * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days