setup needed for building from src rpms ?

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 16:59:09 UTC 2015

I'm not sure if this is the right list for the question, but...

I now have the time and opportunity to migrate my main dev machine
from Fedora 8 to something current, namely F21.  But in the intervening
years, there have been lots of changes to KDE, and most of the visual
aspects don't suit my way of thinking, especially about usability.
Personally I found the older everything to be easer and faster to use.
ie. less mouse movements and fewer clicks, etc.
But I won't turn this into a rant.  Rather I want to patch some of
my major pain points to re-introduce some of the options and flexibility
that seems to have been removed since then.

I thought I'd start with enhancing some of the items in kdetoys,
so I fetched the source RPM and tried installing it with yum and dnf.
Yum complains about 'Not a compatible architecture: src'
DNF complains about 'Will not install a source rpm package"
RPM tries to work but warns about: missing user and group mockbuild.

Can someone point me to a guide for installing/configing the
prerequisites for building from source?
(It doesn't seem as easy as it used to be.)

Thanks

Fulko