DNF is completly unable to act with local packages

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 15:24:07 UTC 2015

On Sat, 7 Nov 2015 15:48:20 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Fedora 23 was *released* with rpm-4.13.0-0.rc1.3.fc23.x86_64.rpm

Yes. Multiple people have touched the package, keeping this different
versioning scheme. It's a lost cause.

> your complaints have *nothing* to do with teh fact that DNF is
> constantly unable to deal with local packages, not only that ones, most
> of the time

True. I know that my comment was off-topic.

Btw, it's odd already that "dnf update rpm*.rpm" refuses to install
packages that are not installed as older version. Compare that with
"rpm -Uvh …" and "rpm -Fvh …". It would make sense to mimic those
two commands in tools that install from repositories.

Instead, every two years and a half, developers of new tools come up
with new (mis-)behaviour. Sometimes with strange rationales, sometimes
with none. Originally, Yum didn't look at latest packages when asking
it to install something. It picked the first version it could find,
only to replace it immediately afterwards during the first "yum update".

In DNF, the manual is full of renamed [deprecated] commands already.
Puzzling!

   Update Command
       dnf [options] update
              Deprecated alias for the Upgrade Command.

   Erase Command
       dnf [options] erase <spec>...
              Deprecated alias for the Remove Command.

   Distribution-synchronization command
       dnf distribution-synchronization
              Deprecated alias for the Distro-sync command.

   Update-To Command
       dnf [options] update-to <package-nevr-specs>...
              Deprecated alias for the Upgrade-To Command.