Self-Introduction

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Sat Feb 9 18:27:54 UTC 2013

On Saturday, February 09, 2013 12:47:11 AM Scott Bicknell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Let me tell you about myself.  I am the father of two children living in
> Washington State in the USA and a former bus driver who has returned to
> college to pursue a liberal arts degree.  My computer experience is mostly
> non-professional.
>
> I wrote a user tutorial for the GIMP Animation Package (GAP) a few years ago
> and published it at gimptalk.com at the request of one of their moderators.
> It remains as a primary tutorial on that site.  My other writing experience
> is confined to blog postings and college essays.
>
> In mid-March I plan to take a break from school and to devote my free time
> to contributing to this project.
>
> My computer skills include installing multiple operating systems in
> dual-boot configurations and solving configuration problems.  I am not a
> computer professional; I am a hobbyist with extensive DOS, OS/2, and
> Windows experience and twelve years of desktop Linux experience.
>
> Some of my previous work may apply to this project.  In two jobs I designed
> and maintained multiple web sites.  For one of them I wrote a suite of bash
> shell scripts that automated content updates on several web sites.
>
> Fedora is my primary desktop operating system.  I have used it continuously
> for more than two years.  Previously I used K/X/Ubuntu, SuSE, Slackware,
> Mandrake, and Red Hat Linux beginning in 2001.  From my first day with
> Linux, it has been my primary desktop OS.
>
> My long experience with desktop Linux installations while maintaining a non-
> professional user's perspective combined with my writing skills may help
> make Fedora's documentation more accessible to less-technically-inclined
> users.
>

> pub   1024D/884DE65B 2012-06-13
>       Key fingerprint = EC25 A9D3 15AD 4B6D 2754  D5E5 27EB 101B 884D E65B
> uid                  Scott Bicknell <sbicknel at gmail.com>
> sub   1024g/BCCFA7ED 2012-06-13

Hello Scott, and welcome!

	I think your perspective and skills will be a valuable addition to our
team, and I look forward to working together. We have a few more hurdles for
you to jump over, but they aren't too high.

	If you haven't discovered it yet, there's a wiki page[1]  on joining the
group.  Once you have an FAS account set up, we can sponsor that account into
the Docs group.  Many of us idle in #fedora-docs on freenode if you have any
questions. We meet in #fedora-meeting at 1400 UTC on Mondays, and you are of
course invited to join us.

	Our workflow is fairly straightforward. The source for our documents can be
found on Fedora's cgit instance[2] with hopefully self-evident names.  You can
start with an idea for an improvement, a bug filed against a document[3], or
just a sense of adventure. The source is markup written in docbook 4.5 and
juggled between us via git. As a new contributor to a Guide, you should chat
with the Guide owner[4] when you get started.  The best approach seems to be
cloning the git repo, creating a local branch for your work, making the
changes with ample commits, and submitting a merge patch in a bug against the
guide.

	You could also do some gardening in the wiki, to clarify and update
existing pages. Almost all pages are editable with only an FAS account, so
feel free to be bold, editing and creating at will. The wiki is used as a
staging area for some of our work[5] as well as a user resource.

	This should get you started on the *how* of it all. Please do ask if there
are any questions, there is a team of people ready to support you.

Do you have an idea of what you'd like to write about?

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_Docs_Project
[2] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/
[3]
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&classification=Fedora&product=Fedora%20Documentation