Self-Introduction

Scott Bicknell sbicknel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 19:42:18 UTC 2013

On Saturday February 9, 2013 11:27 am Pete Travis wrote:

> Hello Scott, and welcome!
>
> 	I think your perspective and skills will be a valuable addition to our
> team, and I look forward to working together. We have a few more hurdles for
> you to jump over, but they aren't too high.
>
> 	If you haven't discovered it yet, there's a wiki page[1]  on joining the
> group.  Once you have an FAS account set up, we can sponsor that account
> into the Docs group.  Many of us idle in #fedora-docs on freenode if you
> have any questions. We meet in #fedora-meeting at 1400 UTC on Mondays, and
> you are of course invited to join us.

I will definitely do that.  My free time for contributing to this project will
begin in late March, and I want to use the time until them to get oriented and
to set up my system and get accustomed to using some of the suggested
software.

I am not familiar with Git or with Docbook, but I don't anticipate having much
trouble familiarizing myself with those.  I already have a Git account, but
have not used it for anything.

> Do you have an idea of what you'd like to write about?

I have only vague ideas right now.  As I become more familiar with existing
documentation, I will probably find my focus.  The main reasons I want to join
are to contribute back to free software and to gain experience with technical
writing.  I'm not a programmer, unless you count writing bash scripts (which I
don't), but my writing skills could prove valuable.  There are many times when
I have read documentation and thought to myself, "I could have written that
better."  In anticipation of having a lot of free time on my hands, I thought
about how to fill it.  Several ideas crossed my mind: starting a blog,
independent study/research while away from school, and other, less viable,
ideas.  Then my wife responded to a comment I made about the lack of help
documents for a program I was using by saying, "Maybe you should spend your
time off from school writing documentation."  I thought it was a brilliant
idea.  All I needed to do was to figure out where to contribute.  I thought
about what software I use most and realized that no matter what else I am
using that I am always using the OS.  That decided the issue for me.

I anticipate having some technical questions about the software and processes
used by your team, but what I have already found seems fairly complete and
clear.

--
Scott Bicknell
:wq