KMail/Dovecot creating mail folder

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 09:27:22 UTC 2013

On Sunday, 7 July 2013, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> >> If you right click on the given folder you will see the options
> >> Serverside subscriptions and Manage local subscriptions
> >
> > the question is "how to subscribe" via kmail
> >
> > you can hardly do this by right click on a non-subscribed folder
> > in your folder-list because it is not visible, as said in thunderbird
> > this is done via right-click on the parent account
>
> In my case the parent account is the top-level folder "alfred".
> When I right-click on this on my laptop and go to Manage Local
> Subscriptions
> I see "alfred" and "inbox" listed, but not "Spam".
> If I right-click on "alfred" and go to Serverside Subscriptions
> then "Spam" is listed (it is the only item).
>
> If I ssh to my server and run kmail there then I can see the Spam folder,
> I can add to or remove emails from it,
> and it is listed in Local Subscriptions.

I wouldn't attribute any special significance to that. Running Kmail on the
server is definitely not the way to manage IMAP folders, even if they're on
the same machine. IMAP folders are handled by the server code (Dovecote in
your case) and should normally only be manipulated through IMAP protocol
commands.

> I have tried creating other folders, both on the laptop and on the server,
> and the outcome is always the same.
> I've also tried re-installing KMail.

Once again, if you're not doing this via IMAP commands to Dovecote, I have
no idea what the effect might be. The server's view of what it shows to
clients as "folders" may not even be directly related to file system
directories. It depends on how the server is implemented. If you're lucky,
it will sort of work, but I wouldn't count on it unless you rèally
understand Dovecote. Think of it as editing a database file without
involving the database handler.

When I ran Evolution on the laptop, it saw the Spam folder.

On Evo you subscribe/unsubscribe to folders via a drop down menu under
Folders. That shows you all the folders the server knows about. I don't
know how this compares to Kmail.

Poc