KMail/Dovecot creating mail folder

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Sun Jul 7 11:46:54 UTC 2013

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>> In my case the parent account is the top-level folder "alfred".
>> When I right-click on this on my laptop and go to Manage Local
>> Subscriptions
>> I see "alfred" and "inbox" listed, but not "Spam".
>> If I right-click on "alfred" and go to Serverside Subscriptions
>> then "Spam" is listed (it is the only item).
>>
>> If I ssh to my server and run kmail there then I can see the Spam folder,
>> I can add to or remove emails from it,
>> and it is listed in Local Subscriptions.

> I wouldn't attribute any special significance to that. Running Kmail on
> the server is definitely not the way to manage IMAP folders, even if
> they're on the same machine. IMAP folders are handled by the server code
> (Dovecote in your case) and should normally only be manipulated through
> IMAP protocol commands.

Thanks as ever for your help.

I set up KMail on the server to go through dovecot on the server.
This seemed to work as expected.

>> I have tried creating other folders, both on the laptop and on the
>> server, and the outcome is always the same.
>> I've also tried re-installing KMail.

> Once again, if you're not doing this via IMAP commands to Dovecote, I have
> no idea what the effect might be.

Creating a KMail folder on the laptop
does have the effect of adding the name
to ~/Maildir/subscriptions on the server,
so I assume it is going through dovecot.

> The server's view of what it shows to
> clients as "folders" may not even be directly related to file system
> directories. It depends on how the server is implemented. If you're lucky,
> it will sort of work, but I wouldn't count on it unless you rèally
> understand Dovecote. Think of it as editing a database file without
> involving the database handler.

Well, I'll see if I can add a folder without involving KMail anywhere.

> When I ran Evolution on the laptop, it saw the Spam folder.

> On Evo you subscribe/unsubscribe to folders via a drop down menu under
> Folders. That shows you all the folders the server knows about. I don't
> know how this compares to Kmail.

I didn't have to subscribe to the folder;
it was already shown.
By every test I've tried, the folder seems to be properly set up
on the dovecot server.
It's just that I don't see it on my laptop with KMail.

I'm wondering now if KMail is not updating something.
Could it have cached an old idea of the dovecot setup?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net