Gonna be a little irritating again Sorry

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Mon May 11 08:59:38 UTC 2015

On 05/11/15 16:15, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> Please everyone... I am not trolling or trying to start a debate. I am just stating my own very personal views with the following.
>
> I will start and end with the same statement.
>
> My comments here in no way reflects the exceptionally good work and repsonsiveness of Fedora's KDE Team.
>
> This is the first time that I can remember that I am not looking forward to the next release of Fedora.
>
> I have done a bit of fiddeling with plasma 5 and I must say as a long time KDE user I will not be upgrading to Plasma 5 on my main office or home systems given its current state. It is buggy, missing many features that I have become accustommed to and I have no way to work around the issues.

Totally agree and I've pretty much, I think, stated the same in an earlier email.

> While the individual issues that I have discovered may be minor, add them all up together with all the problems and issues that have been posted recently means some obstruction to my work flow.
>
> I will list the problems:
>
> no screensaver
> clock on the system tray takes up way to much realestate resizing windows causes my windows to black until I click the app on the task switcher to minimze and then restore
> I cannot set my regional settings to the country where I live without changing the language of interface. I want it to remain english.
> kdepim has not been ported to the new library set yet.
> The text contrast kicker cannot be altered.
> The American flag for the keyboard switcher is distorted

Allow me to add to your list....

Starting from a "Saved Session" doesn't work.  The windows may be restored, but they are never in the location you've saved them.  And, they all end up on a single virtual desktop.  And the systray may or may not be at the height you previously specified.  And, even if you save a session and you want to start with Virtual Desktop 2 displayed, you'll get Virtual Desktop 1.

The default window size for konsole aren't always retained between login sessions. Sometimes I get the 82x24 I want, and sometimes I don't.

I can't define the date/time format for the systray clock that I want.  I want 24hr format an mm/dd/yy.

The "upgrade" to Plasma 5 should be "seamless" in that your themes and decorations are retained.  User installed themes are in a new location but not moved in the "upgrade" process.  Users will have to spend time to redo their environment.  If they have many systems they may get annoyed.

You can't have a different wallpaper for each Virtual Desktop.  This makes life boring.

There is no kwallet manager for Plasma 5 at this time....or so I've been told.

And, of course, the crashes I've noted in my "Basic Plasma 5 Crashes" email.

> Like I said these issues are minor, but these issues are a reflection of a very very cursive look. I would hate to see what I would find if I did some real QA on it.

I guess most are minor but the window placement/size issue it really annoying.  I'm seriously considering staying with F21 with the hope that F23 will be better.

> Again, my comments here in no way reflects the exceptionally good work and repsonsiveness of Fedora's KDE Team. I am looking forward to when Plasma 5 becomes more feature complete and stable. I am very confident that the Fedora KDE team will get those out to us as soon as those positive changes will become available.
>
> Thanks for listening :)

Same here....  And I hope someone does actually listen.  :-) :-)