Gonna be a little irritating again Sorry

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Mon May 11 09:37:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

let me try to address some of the issues you and Eli raised here

On Monday, May 11, 2015 04:59:38 PM Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/11/15 16:15, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> > Please everyone... I am not trolling or trying to start a debate. I am
> > just stating my own very personal views with the following.
> >
> > I will start and end with the same statement.
> >
> > My comments here in no way reflects the exceptionally good work and
> > repsonsiveness of Fedora's KDE Team.
> >
> > This is the first time that I can remember that I am not looking forward
> > to the next release of Fedora.
> >
> > I have done a bit of fiddeling with plasma 5 and I must say as a long time
> > KDE user I will not be upgrading to Plasma 5 on my main office or home
> > systems given its current state. It is buggy, missing many features that
> > I have become accustommed to and I have no way to work around the issues.
> Totally agree and I've pretty much, I think, stated the same in an earlier
> email.
> > While the individual issues that I have discovered may be minor, add them
> > all up together with all the problems and issues that have been posted
> > recently means some obstruction to my work flow.
> >
> > I will list the problems:
> >
> > no screensaver

> > clock on the system tray takes up way to much realestate

Digital or analog clock? With date or without? I use digital clock with date
and it really only takes the minimum necessary space.

> > resizing windows causes my windows to black until I click the app on the
> > task switcher to minimze and then restore

Hmm, could be a driver issue? Have you tried with KWin effects disabled (Alt
+Shift+F12)?

> > I cannot set my regional settings to the country where I live without
> > changing the language of interface  I want it to remain english.

Is System Settings -> Regional Settings -> Formats what you are looking for?
This does only affect time, currency etc. format, but not the actual language
of the UI.

> > kdepim has not been ported to the new library set yet.

I don't see how this is a problem :-) We are going to release Qt5/KF5-based
KDE PIM in August with KDE Applications 15.08 and our aim is for users not to
be able to tell any difference between KDE 4 and KF5 version.

> > The text contrast kicker cannot be altered.

> > The American flag for the keyboard switcher is distorted

That's the old (KDE 4) keyboard switcher, probably shown because you had some
old KDED modules from KDE 4 still installed or loaded. In pure Plasma 5
environment the layout switcher only says "us" or "cz" etc.

> Allow me to add to your list....
>
> Starting from a "Saved Session" doesn't work.  The windows may be restored,
> but they are never in the location you've saved them.  And, they all end up
> on a single virtual desktop.  And the systray may or may not be at the
> height you previously specified.  And, even if you save a session and you
> want to start with Virtual Desktop 2 displayed, you'll get Virtual Desktop
> 1.

Yes, this is a big issue :(

> The default window size for konsole aren't always retained between login
> sessions. Sometimes I get the 82x24 I want, and sometimes I don't.

I think this might be related to the above :(

> I can't define the date/time format for the systray clock that I want.  I
> want 24hr format an mm/dd/yy.

We could add the to the configuration UI, or you could try to change that in
regional and datetime settings.

> The "upgrade" to Plasma 5 should be "seamless" in that your themes and
> decorations are retained.  User installed themes are in a new location but
> not moved in the "upgrade" process.  Users will have to spend time to redo
> their environment.  If they have many systems they may get annoyed.

In most cases that is not possible, as Oxygen Plasma 5 itself looks very
differently from Oxygen in KDE 4 (+ Breeze is now the default), and most 3rd
party themes and decorations don't provide Qt 5 versions yet, so what actually
happens is fallback to default.

Plus there were some major changings in the internals of Plasma, so the devs
decided that it will be safer to not migrate the shell configuration
(basically, it's better not to migrate anything than to migrate only something
and break stuff).

> You can't have a different wallpaper for each Virtual Desktop.  This makes
> life boring.

I think this is planned for 5.4 :)

> There is no kwallet manager for Plasma 5 at this time....or so I've been
> told.

Jan is working on it, KWalletManager5 should hit repos in time for F22.

> And, of course, the crashes I've noted in my "Basic Plasma 5 Crashes" email.
> > Like I said these issues are minor, but these issues are a reflection of a
> > very very cursive look. I would hate to see what I would find if I did
> > some real QA on it.
> I guess most are minor but the window placement/size issue it really
> annoying.  I'm seriously considering staying with F21 with the hope that
> F23 will be better.
> > Again, my comments here in no way reflects the exceptionally good work and
> > repsonsiveness of Fedora's KDE Team. I am looking forward to when Plasma
> > 5 becomes more feature complete and stable. I am very confident that the
> > Fedora KDE team will get those out to us as soon as those positive
> > changes will become available.
> >
> > Thanks for listening :)
>
> Same here....  And I hope someone does actually listen.  :-) :-)

I know this is an old cliche, but upstream is always willing to listen, so
reporting those issues directly to upstream gives you higher chance of seeing
those issues resolved. We can do some smaller patches here and there but most
issues is unfortunatelly too much for us (mostly due to lack of time).

Cheerios,
Dan