static libraries

Alexey Pushkin alexey.pushkin at mererand.com
Fri Feb 20 20:07:33 UTC 2009

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Let's just recap the facts, in case there was confusion about it ...
>
> (1) The default remains to provide dynamic libraries.  There's no
> discussion on this point, because even if I thought it was a good idea
> to change (which I don't), Fedora policy would prevent it.
>
> (2) IMHO there is no realistic chance to change Fedora policy,
> although you are welcome to try.
>
> (3) Fedora policy allows static libraries to be provided in *-static
> subpackages.
>
>   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Packaging_Static_Libraries
>
> (4) *-static subpackages don't happen by magic.  You have to find
> someone to do this work for you, or do it yourself.
>
> (5) Post your patches to this list, for the usual review / submission
> process.

Alright, next week I'll try to build libz-static and xerces-static
(I personally need these 2 packages :-)

One more question:
Somebody in this thread mentioned that an exception could be made for
mingw packages, so that we won't need separate -static packages.
This will be (a) less work for maintainers (b) IMHO more convenient for users

Do you think it's realistic ?